Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day Four Seoul, Korea


February 28, 2010


Fourth day in Korea


So, I woke up today to try to find a post office to send off a few postcards that I wrote for my friends and family. I couldn’t believe how hard it was to find a postcard in this country. I’m sure I mentioned it in the previous post, but they are dam hard!



As a recommendation to all I would just buy a card from the stationary store. They are cheaper and cost just as much to send. I’m talking like a birthday card, but you can get them here with photos of famous places around here. That is what a post card generally is right?




Anyhow, I started at checking out of the hotel. I asked the service person at the desk, “Where is the nearest post office?” He seemed to know what he was talking about and immediately pointed me in the direction. Not thinking about a thing I made my way down the street towards the post office.




I was walking down the street, and I really liked the weather. It was a beautiful day, the sun was out and there was a slight breeze. Then I realized something. I didn’t know what the dam name of the post office looked like in Korean, or didn’t even know what a post box looked like.




Flustered, because I was walking for about 20 minutes for something I don’t know what I was looking for, I went into a STARBUCKS for a coffee. Walking into the store, that I must have been in at least five times over my two-day stay in Busan, I was pleasant surprise.



The girl behind the counter spoke Japanese. I found out because I smiled, walked up to the counter, and pointed at a Caramel Macchiato tall. By the way, coffee lovers, coffee is starting to pick up around Korea right now. It is REALLY cheap, aside from STARBUCKS, and the portions are ginormous!




The girl behind the counter immediately started with Japanese, rather than English, and so I went on after my order, to ask where the post office was. She informed me that it was Sunday, and the post offices are closed.



DAM AGAIN! That is twice in one day, no the same hour that I made some simple stupid mistake! WOW! I thanked her for her services, and went to go check my email with my coffee at hand. I also checked the schedule for the trains going back to Seoul.




With little to no time left before my trains’ departure, I decided to hang out around Busan Station. I never really went to this area, so I decided to look around a little. There was a Chinatown right across the way, and some very interesting pieces of art statues around the station exterior.



Finding none of it really that amusing, I went to board the train. Now, here is another hint for people trying to get around in Korea, and don’t speak Korean.


First, use the Korail Pass! Yes, I am mentioning it again. It saved me some money, and I was able to use that later to buy souvenirs. Second, make sure the person issuing you the ticket tells/writes your gate number! I failed to do so, and spent 15 minutes walking back and forth trying to figure out where the hell my train was!




It was a real pain. The only good thing that came out of it was the fact that I was able to find a really good sandwich place that served me roast beef on parmesan bread. It was delicious, and the only thing that I ate in Korea that I forgot to take a picture of. Darn. The train ride back was pretty uneventful.



The only funny thing was the lady that was next to me kept falling asleep, and would start leaning every-which-way. Then she would suddenly jerk back awake! It was funny for about the first 10 times, but it did start to get old. I wanted to tell her to just recline the seat and get comfortable. Although, I didn’t know how… so I didn’t.



Arriving at Seoul Station was nothing big. I was just wondering what I should do after I dropped my luggage at the hostel. I decided on going to the South Gate of Seoul. So, I went to the hostel.


Now, remember a few days ago, how my room was not ready? Well, it was a repeat of that event. So, I moved my stuff to the other room, and then checked my email. I was still trying to meet up with Ben. Nothing from him, so I sent out an email to ask if he wanted to meet and I would check again around dinnertime.




Now, I made my way to the South Gate. I got out at the station and started to walk around looking for this thing. It was nowhere to be found. I was wondering, how does a gigantic gate disappear?



So, as I was looking around, I ran into these foreigners. I asked if they knew where the gate was. They nodded an immediate affirmative. Then they pointed at a box of a building with no windows, and a big covered chain-linked fence around it. I was then informed that five years ago, there was a big fire there, and they are still trying to put it back to its original shape.



Again, I was disappointed. Looking around I found a string of camera shops. Why not? I’m a camera buff. Therefore, I went into one after another looking for a stofen light diffuser for my flash. Only one out of all the stores had one. He wanted 25,000 won for it. I wasn’t going to give it to him. I walked out of the store with it for 7,000 won. I love bargaining.




So, again I was happy, but I was also hungry. I remembered seeing an Outback Steakhouse around here somewhere. Outback Steakhouse has never sounded so good. Walking around for 45 minutes, quite literally around (I must have past the same stop light about 5-6 times), I finally found it down a little side street.




It was AWESOME! Now, there is this famous canal around these parts too! The Cheonggyechong, was about a 3.6 mile stream with waterfalls and fountains. I walked around looking for it, but had no success. Then it hit me! I told Ben about the meeting up in Korea! Making my way back to the hostel I checked my watch to find that it was 21:00 hours. I hope I am not too late!




Making back to the hostel, I checked my email to find out that Ben wanted to meet up around 19:00 – 20:00 hours. Sending an apologetic email for my tardiness, I decided to turn in for the night.





This was a pretty short day for me. Most of it was spent around the shopping areas. Every time I got lost I would spend the time looking at things and shopping around. I was in the Namdaemun Market area. That is where the South Gate is near. Thus, there was not a lot to write about today. I’m also getting really tired, so I will stop here.


Stay tuned for my last full day in Korea!



(Pretty cool way of showing the Year of the Tiger)



(Western foods are really taking off!)



For more pictures click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment