Monday, January 11, 2010

成人の日 - SEIJIN NO HI - Coming of Age 2010






So, this is probably the fastest update that I have done in a while. I was testing myself to see how fast I could put something up. These photos were taken two days ago, downloaded onto the computer and slight touch ups yesterday, and now they are up. It took me a little while to upload the photos, but with the internet as slow as it is, I think that things are good. Hopefully, I can get more posts on! On with the post.....


January 10, 2010


Although, it was a day early there was an event that was simply amazing to me. It is called "SEIJIN NO HI", or the Coming of Age Day ceremony. In Japan, one of the biggest ages for a person is HATACHI, or twenty. The actual day was January 11, 2010, but OKAYAMA decided to hold the ceremony on a Sunday, instead of a Monday.







The event was held at OKAYAMA Dome. It is this large half Dome in the middle of nowhere. It was a 5-7 minute train ride, from the OKAYAMA main station. The station that everyone was getting out at was KITANIGASE. It was then a 2-3 minute walk to the Dome.






Now, I got the information about this event the day of at about 0100 Hrs. It was from my friend NORIKO, who looked up the information for me and then sent it to me. Knowing that a friend wanted to go with me I sent her the info immediately after I received it, and got a positive response.






So bright and early, at 1100 Hrs we met up and made our way to the station. The trip was interesting seeing that it was Jen's first time riding a DENSHA here, and mine going to the KITANIGASE station. We knew we were on the right train though when a bunch of girls get on the train all dolled up in their KIMONOs.





When we arrived at the station, we were engulfed in a bunch of 20 year old's in their awesome fashion statements. Jen and I just followed them to the Dome, not that we couldn't see it from the station.





Once at the dome, we saw quite the array of colors and styles of KIMONOs and suits. It was really quite the site. There were also many types of stalls and vendors as well. Jen and I walked around the kids, took many photos, and ran into a few of our friends while there.





Feeling a bit cold, we decided to go into the Dome to see what they had going inside. There were all sorts of things inside, mainly about making a better world. It was interesting. We then went and sat down in the bleachers.






On the stage, there were various performances. It started out with a bunch of kids that were in a band playing music and dancing, then moved to a movie that a bunch of college students made, and finished with URAJA dancers. There was some things that filled the times between, but they were not that noteworthy. Anyhow, enjoy the photos, and hope to post again soon.


For more photos click HERE.









No comments:

Post a Comment